Business owners and SEO often think of migrating their business web site for various reasons maybe you bought a new domain for your brand, or acquired a competitor, or are merging two new domains, or simply changing the URL structures of your already existing website. But website migration of any kind may show your search engine ranking a big dip if not done properly. Because of this fear only, we can not overlook the benefits that we get from website migration. Website migration can be of many types but here we’ll focus only on Http to Https migration.
What is HTTP-HTTPS migration?
HTTP-HTTPS migration is the process which applies an SSL certificate to your website. It restructures your domain and hence, every URL which began with HTTP will transform into HTTPS following with your URL.
Although the difference looks minute, the impact is significant. Google which does not generally go public with their SEO ranking factors declared HTTPS as a ranking signal in 2014. Since then, many webmasters have gone crazy to adapt the change.
Gary Illyes of Google announced in 2014 that 34% of Google’s indexed are HTTPS. This has allowed Google to execute algorithms effectively and confirming HTTPS as a ranking touchstone. John Mueller of Google has shared a post on 13 FAQs about HTTP-HTTPS transition. The time duration for migration remains 1 to 2 weeks (restructuring URL).
Do’s while performing HTTP to HTTPS migration
- 301 redirect your old HTTP URLs to new HTTPS equivalents.
- Make sure that all your internal links point out to new HTTPS URL versions.
- Set the domain of your choice in Bing Webmaster Tools and Google Search Console.
- Ensure that all your HTTPS URLs are updated in your sitemap.
- Ensure canonical tags are updated. Tags should be directed to HTTPS URL versions.
- Social media sites should be updated with new HTTPS URLs.
- Google analytics profile must be updated.
Don’ts while performing HTTP-HTTPS migration
- Avoid using 302 redirects.
- Never ignore Google search console and sitemap.
If you are confused about buying security certificates, there are many reputable companies like Norton, Comodo etc. who sell security certificates. These certificates can be generated and installed very easily using this SSL certificate adding procedure.
So this is all you need to take care of while performing http -https migration. Share your experience on the same in the comments below.